This simple to make lime shortbread cookie recipe topped with a fast lime icing provides a burst of zesty lime to basic shortbread!
This recipe was made in partnership with Imperial Sugar. Click HERE for the full recipe!
This simple lime shortbread recipe is as scrumptious in the summertime and spring months as it’s in your vacation platter. Shortbread is extraordinarily versatile, however I’ve to say that citrus shortbread is definitely my favourite model. Buttery, crisp edges, with a soften in your mouth texture and a citrus kick makes this shortbread recipe my go-to!
Shortbread cookies have the best ratio of butter to flour. Sugar Cookies have the bottom ratio, and butter cookies are in between with the next quantity of sugar. The variations are slight, however they do make a distinction.
What Form of Limes to Use For Lime Shortbread?
You’ll be able to completely use Key Limes on this recipe if you happen to favor. I simply use the limes I discover on the grocery retailer, that are sometimes Persian Limes. They’re bigger and tarter than Key Limes however for this recipe both might be superb!
CLICK HERE for the complete recipe and ingredient record!
- Room temperature butter. I like to make use of salted butter on this recipe, however you should use unsalted with out altering the extra salt quantity.
- Granulated sugar
- Limes. You will have each the lime zest and juice of the limes.
- Vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- Egg yolks. You received’t be utilizing the egg whites on this recipe. I’ve discovered that utilizing simply the yolks produces a richer tasting shortbread cookie.
- All goal flour
- Powdered sugar. You will have this for the short icing on high of the cookies combined along with the lime juice. You can also make the icing as thick or skinny as your favor, however I like a thinner icing that I can dip the cookies into for ease. In the event you make it somewhat thicker you may pipe the icing on high.
Step By Step Directions:
- Cookies: Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and granulated sugar collectively for two minutes on medium velocity. Add within the zest from 2 limes (about 1 tablespoon), and blend for 30 seconds till mixed. Reserve the limes for his or her juice.
- Add within the vanilla, salt, and yolks and blend till mixed, scraping the edges of the bowl as needed.
- Flip the mixer to low and add within the flour, mixing till simply mixed.
- Place 2 sheets of plastic wrap in your clear counter. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and place every portion onto the plastic wrap. Kind every dough into 2 equal logs, 2- inches in diameter. Wrap the dough within the plastic wrap tightly, smoothing the form out after it’s wrapped. Place the wrapped dough into the fridge for two hours, or till fully chilled.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- Take away the dough from the fridge and slice into 1/4- inch slices with a pointy knife. Place the cookies on the ready baking sheet and bake for 14 – 16 minutes, till the cookies are golden on the edges.
- Enable the cookies to chill on a wire rack.
- Icing: In a medium bowl whisk collectively the powdered sugar and 2- tablespoons of the contemporary lime juice from the reserved limes till clean.
- Dip every cookie into the icing, and place on the wire rack to let the icing set.
Ideas for Success:
The beauty of these cookies are they’re simple to make and are virtually foolproof. A couple of issues to notice:
- Ensure you are utilizing giant sized eggs. The scale of your egg in baking issues as eggs add moisture. Too giant an egg can add an excessive amount of moisture making your dough sticky.
- Don’t fear a lot about forming the dough into the proper sized log earlier than wrapping it in plastic wrap. The dough is a *little* sticky and is simpler to clean and type as soon as it’s wrapped within the plastic wrap earlier than you refrigerate.
- If you need completely spherical circles, flip the dough log within the fridge at half turns all through the chilling course of, rounding it out. Because the dough sits within the fridge one facet will flatten. The one technique to keep away from that is to clean it out and switch the dough. I don’t do that, truthfully, as a result of it doesn’t hassle me a lot. If the dough could be very flat on one facet it’s fairly simple to govern.
- Don’t underbake. The scrumptious attribute of shortbread, in my view, is the crisp, buttery edge. In the event you underbake these cookies they are going to be comfortable and somewhat doughy. This isn’t essentially unhealthy, however you wish to have fairly golden edges for that candy, buttery crunch.
- Use any kind of citrus you favor. This recipe would work nice with lemons or orange!
- Lime is all the time nice with coconut, so high the icing off with somewhat toasted coconut or roll the dough into coconut earlier than baking!
- This shortbread recipe works with out citrus completely too! It’s only a nice slice and bake shortbread recipe!
Serving and Storing
These cookies are nice saved in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 days for greatest freshness. They can be frozen hermetic for as much as 30 days. Thaw them out at room temperature and revel in. Notice that the icing could get somewhat sticky because it thaws out, however it would agency up once more when they’re fully thawed and again as much as room temp.
CLICK HERE for the FULL RECIPE
Extra Shortbread Recipes You Could Love:
PIN for later: